English-Swedish Dictionary of University Words and Terms

HSV launched a new English-Swedish dictionary on their website

This is really great, it’s good to have this sort of readily available reference source. But I wonder what they have referenced for this? For example, it’s not that common to see a Master’s Degree in the UK referred to as a ‘Degree of Master in’. That sounds like a literal translation rather than a colloquial (or common) one.

I notice the dictionary uses the word admission (which I confess to using myself) but, when you take a look at Google Trends, it would seem that a lot of people are searching for ‘Application’. When we had Gerry McGovern at the university he commented that ‘admission’ is quite a negative word, with connotations of ivory towers and superiority; whereas ‘application’ is more welcoming and more of a call to action.

Here’s the graph from Google Trends, click on it to see the real version as it looks a bit crappy here. I particularly like the seasonal trend in volume this graph shows.

What is cool is that they say the dictionary will be updated continually, and give the opportunity to leave comments.

About these ads