At least 200 students could be late starting their master programmes at Lund, according to an article published on the 23rd of August in Sydsvenkan. The main points of the article are:
– Applications for visas are still arriving to the migration authorities, despite term having started
– The online application system (studera.nu is part of this) delayed the application process by 3 weeks
– The migration authorities are already busy at this time of year
– Students who are late may not be admitted to their programme
– Approximately 200 of 1200 students may be late
– The problem could be relieved by only allowing applications to be made in December
These kind of issues so need to be sorted – not only for the students who are currently in limbo now but also for the future. Fee paying students will not tolerate these kind of delays. One point of view is, of course, that the number of applications will drop when fees are introduced which may ease the pressure on the system, but there’s still at least two application periods to go before fees are introduced.