English-Swedish Dictionary of University Words and Terms

HSV launched a new English-Swedish dictionary on their website

This is really great, it’s good to have this sort of readily available reference source. But I wonder what they have referenced for this? For example, it’s not that common to see a Master’s Degree in the UK referred to as a ‘Degree of Master in’. That sounds like a literal translation rather than a colloquial (or common) one.

I notice the dictionary uses the word admission (which I confess to using myself) but, when you take a look at Google Trends, it would seem that a lot of people are searching for ‘Application’. When we had Gerry McGovern at the university he commented that ‘admission’ is quite a negative word, with connotations of ivory towers and superiority; whereas ‘application’ is more welcoming and more of a call to action.

Here’s the graph from Google Trends, click on it to see the real version as it looks a bit crappy here. I particularly like the seasonal trend in volume this graph shows.

What is cool is that they say the dictionary will be updated continually, and give the opportunity to leave comments.