One of the possible dangers of using the bounce rate data from google analytics is when you are looking at a page where the links being clicked are sending people away from your site. GA shows you a bounce, but the user is actually clicking on one of the links you thoughtfully left for them.
Holy Crap! – What the graph is telling us is that on some days the bounce rate was 100% – time to get my coat, I think. The average for this time period is around 50%…which sucks.
Here’s the bounce rate for the ‘Find Faculties’ page, with the data included for the period when I added the tracking code. Note the much shorter peaks on the far right of the graph.
Nice – now we can see that the bounce rate has dropped (or rather, we’re visualising it properly) to something we can live in. The average for the period where we installed the script is a more agreeable 10%.
And to get even more data from that page we can see the individual links now appearing as ‘pages’ in the content report. And my top tip here is set up the tag in the link so it’s something sensible to read in your reports and is different for each link.